I am all done today's training. Today wasn't too bad. I started at 9am with Lifeboat training. Today we actually got to get into the lifeboat, which was "hanging" off the side of the ship (the Port side if you were wondering, oh yes, I've picked up some terminology). Apparently for the general crew drills (some lasting up to 4 hours), they stick 260 people in the lifeboats so you know what it feels like to be crammed in there. When I say lifeboats, I don't mean Titanic-style lifeboats (and yes, we have more than enough on board), these boats are high tech, covered, filled with supplies, a motor and enough fuel to get quite a fair distance. I was impressed to say the least. Impressed, and petrified at the thought of having to use one.
Today we also got a huge shipment of supplies, so every department was fighting over the trolleys to wheel the thousands of heavy stores (another new term) to their respective areas. We had 7 ping pong tables to lug from Deck 4 (where the gangway is) to Deck 11 (where most of the rec areas are). As port adventure hosts, we are also responsible for running and monitoring the sports/rec/slides/pool areas on Decks 11, 12 and 13. While the Rec hosts (we have 3 of them) will do most of the work, we will have to do it too. This is pretty cool because it means I would get to interact with a lot more kids on the cruise. Oh and wear my stylin' shorts ;)
I got fitted for my 'costume' (not uniform) today. The port adventure 'look' is the glamour of the 40's. I wear a high waisted skirt and fancy skirt for my desk work, and a camp shirt (No...not the SummerDaze kind!) with blue shorts/pants for the day/night look. I also get a bathing suit, swim shorts and t-shirt for Castaway Cay. I am excited! I was dreading it...but then I realized, it is Disney and it's a COSTUME. It seems to be okay when I think about it like this.
I know a few of you have been curious as to what my cabin is like. It is...small. Mom, Dad, think about your room at the cottage, and it may actually be a tad smaller. Completely functional though. We have a wardrobe, safe, shelf, shoe rack, 2 shelves, big drawer, desk with 2 drawers, and a small cabinet with 2 shelves. In the bathroom we have a mirror cabinet and a small shelf under the sink. We can shove our suitcases/extra luggage under the bottom bunk...so Mom, I was totally regretting bringing duffel bags. My arms hurt for 2 days...I had to carry them awhile at the hotel in Amsterdam and then onto the ship (The boys in my department helped me carry some them and I declined in cool points for that..just kidding). I may buy something in Port Canaveral before my contract ends. To see my cabin, I will post pictures when I legally can. The ship is not "Show-ready" yet. This is a Disney term that means it's not ready to be seen quite yet, and no pictures can be released.
Either way, the ship will officially be owned by Disney tomorrow morning. This is extremely exciting, and most of the crew is excited for this. There's going to be a party tomorrow afternoon to celebrate!
The food is similar to any uni cafeteria, some variety, but most of you would be proud to know that I have been eating a salad (with balsamic vinegar and olive oil) at every meal...Yes, vegetables...and lots of fruit. Oh, and maybe the odd chocolate chip cookie ;) They are delicious!
My next post will consist of what I forgot to bring.
Next time I finally get internet, I hope some of you are actually online for me to chat/skype with!!
Please please PLEASE post pictures of you in your costume. I want to see it!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI don't get it for another 3 days! But I will as soon as I can!
ReplyDeleteWell Amanda - you packed according to the info you received. at least you don't have to lug your bags till you come home. You couldn't have possibly forgotten ANYTHING..could you?
ReplyDelete